Sunday, September 14, 2008

Je Suis Volontaire




I am now, as of 9/12/2008, an official PCV. My close of service date is 9/11/2010. I left my host family yesterday which was really hard for me. I was very attached which isn't surprising since that's how it was for me in Luxembourg. It was hard not to cry because the excitement, fear, sadness and happiness hit me all at the same time. I carried my things up to the training site and just burst into tears. Luckily my friend was there to help me smile.

I just arrived in Niamey this morning for installation. I am one of the last to get installed on Thursday so I'll be hanging out until this Thursday with some important meetings scattered throughout the week. I can't wait to start setting up my house.

It's so hard to write sometimes because everything is all jumbled in my head. The Swear-In Ceremony was at the US Ambassador's house. It was a pretty simple affair. We had three PCTs give speeches in the local languages (Zarma, Hausa, and then French). Afterwards we had dinner in Hamdy with all of the staff.

The next morning I got to learn how to use the bank. Rather than going back to the ambassador's I decided to bush taxi back to Hamdy to spend our last free day hanging out. I live in fear of bush taxi's, but the experience gets easier and easier. I found a car right away and only had to wait for about thirty minutes. Now, knowing at least a little Zarma, I found chatting more enjoyable.

I had dinner one last time with my host family and then had tea with my Baba. I hung out in the boy's club for the last time and was accompanied by Hama and Karim up to the site. I planned on staying up all night because I didn't feel like unpacking my sheets and mosquito net, but I ended up falling asleep in the refectoire. Not the most comfortable. I woke up at 4:30 when people started to break fast (it's Ramadan). Before I left Karim presented me with a certificate for the Boys Club.




It was a perfect ending.

No comments: