Friday, November 21, 2008

But I've Never Eaten Spam Before...

All I can say is THANK YOU for all the packages. This last month was kinda rough and there was a three week stretch with absolutely no mail (not your fault). Luckily, I just received four packages and about 7 letters. I got packages from my brother, friend Shiree, Aunt Lisa, and Grandpa. I will try Spam for the first time in my life. I am responding as fast as I can but I have started observing in the schools so I am FINALLY busier. Also, I was running out of money (in my village, not in general) and I am finally in Niamey and will be able to afford stamps once again.

Unfortunately, since I last wrote I have joined the bacteria club. It was three days of utter misery and followed up by a nice case of haemorrhoids (sorry if that's too graphic for some). But my mantra in Niger is A sinda taali, babu layhi which means No problems (said in both Zarma AND Hausa for extra emphasis ... and too amuse my villagers). In the past month I have really felt at home in Kollo. I have a great group of friends who I see on a daily basis. My best friend in Kollo is named Ridouane, affectionately known as Big Head. He is my Nigerien twin and that's what we call each other. He has a boutique in town and I go there after work to hang out and talk and laugh. Through him I have met more and more people my age. The other night I even had a volunteer friend and 3 Nigerien friends over for a party at my house. I am having another one tomorrow night. A boori! Sadly, my twin will be leaving soon to join the Duanes (like military).

I have been trying for weeks to upload newer photos (slowly but surely it is coming along). I haven't been to Niamey in awhile but when you need to go to the doctor/bank, you need to go. I also got a cat today. I had a puppy ... for 2 days ... but discovered that having a dog in America is much easier than having a dog in Niger for multiple reasons. 1) people are afraid of dogs 2) I'm never home!! 3) dogs are dirtier. My cat's name is Chai (formerly Mr. Chapeau). He is black and white and utterly adorable. It's nice to have such an independent animal. But it's only been one day so we'll see how it goes. If I don't like it I have a neighboring volunteer who will take him. I think it will work out.

Like I mentioned above I started observing in the schools. I was having a rough week at work dealing with being compared to other volunteers and feeling like I didn't have the skills to contribute yet. But when I was observing I felt so much more empowered. I want to work on a resource library for teachers that will go over pedagogy and interdisciplinary studies as well as multiculturalism in school. I also want to work on a literacy project. There is a great interest in learning English but if I do a literacy project French and Zarma will be primary and once they have met the targets then they will start English. I also want to do a children's art and culture center with art classes and showcases. We'll see...

2 comments:

Rae Jin Devine said...

I'm glad you're over the icky...I can't imagine what I would have done if I had gotten sick earlier in my stay in Korea rather than later...

I want to see pictures of your kitty!

It sounds like a rather ambitious undertaking...you can do it!

BECCA said...

SPAM? NOT THAT BAD MY MOTHER LIKED SPAM GROWING UP SO I HAD MY FAIR SHARE OF IT. I THINK IT IS BETTER IF YOU FRY IT AND EAT LIKE A SANDWICH
IM SURE THERE IS WORSE. WELL HANG IN THERE AND I HOPE THAT YOU DONT GET SICK LIKE THAT AGAIN NO FUN. TALK AT YA LATER
BECCA