Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Life in a Plastic Bag




I find it funny how many things require plastic bags in this country think clear plastic, no zip locks. For example I literally had one day where everything I ate or drank came from a plastic bag. Breakfast - yogurt in a bag (not my favorite but it was free) beans with mayo and bread (because I went back to the inspection rather than eating it there I was forced to eat out of the bag because there were no utensils or bowls to be found) Lunch - egg sandwich carried home in plastic bag. Leemu hari (Nigerien popsicle in which you bite a corner off the bag and push the icy juice through). Dinner was kudu ku (sweet potatoes) which I bought in the market and then made into hors d'oeurves (think Nigerien potato salad).

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hey Jessica!

Laura Flamm (little western junior) here. I'm about to leave for a semester in South Africa and was chatting with Amy and Ray about how the Peace Corps may end up on my list of post-graduation possibilities but I've only heard feedback that it's lonely. I would love any thoughts/reflections etc. from you because I've heard that you are having a blast after all.

Cheers!