Thursday, March 5, 2009

My arms hurt from the crutches!

Another week in Niamey… I hate coming into the city so much but usually I can get in and out without having to spend too much time away from Kollo. This week I am in town for training. I have a volunteer friend who has now extended into a third year of service and she is now working for an NGO called PRAHN. They are associated with CBM. The organization started off servicing the blind in third world countries and eventually came to encompass many other disabilities. I have been really intrigued by the material and I’m hoping I can work on inclusion in Kollo. When I was doing my school observations I noticed that there were some handicapped children, mostly physical handicaps. I know that there are many more children in my village and I wonder why it is that they don’t go to school. The reasons are actually very obvious. The culture that I live in is very influenced by public opinion and shame. There’s a lot of superstition which is something I’ve found very hard to combat.

Unfortunately, I had to miss part of the training today. After 8 months in country I have finally experienced amoebas … dun dun dun … It’s actually not as bad as what I’ve heard. I mean everyone’s different. Apparently, I have iron stomach. I think I’ve actually been sick for awhile but only now was it serious enough to give me cause to check it out. I started my medicine today and aside from stomach cramps I’m doing alright. I’ve stayed most of the day inside our bureau. It was a much better option than the hostel. I mean it’s air conditioned and today it was really quiet.

I am a little more tired today which is no fun. On the rare times I do overnights in Niamey I have dinner at the same place. It’s a little “diner” called Continental Breakfast. I know the whole staff there and most nights we play cards until the place closes down. Tonight I don’t know if I’ll be able to stay out. For one, I’m exhausted and two, they don’t have ANY sort of bathroom, latrine or anything so if I have to go to the bathroom I’d have to make the walk back to the hostel.

This weekend I am taking my friend Ricky back to Kollo with me. That means I’ll probably also follow him back to his village. I have been there before but it was only a twenty minute stop. I’m a nervous traveler (the first time I go anywhere) and then I’m fine. We’re going to hang out with my neighbors and make neibit (rice and beans … delicious). We’ll probably have tea and stay up most of the night. I hope my amoebas don’t block that too much for me!

No comments: