Monday, November 23, 2009

thanks

On this day of celebrating thanks, I begin to list in my head the things I am thankful for. The list is topped by my friends and family who have encourage and supported me so much through this journey otherwise known as Peace Corps (and life on the grandest scale). There have been some hard times and without these people I may not have stayed in Niger as long as I have. With the situation here, we are consolidated outside of our villages and were barely given a chance to inform our communities that our absence would be prolonged by factors beyond their or our control. I am thankful that I was placed in a village that is so open and accepting. I am not forced to completely change my cultural identity. While I am respectful of theirs they are also reciprocal. They love when I dress up but they know I don't have to. I am thankful to have found so many adoptive families here. I know in my heart that if I had to leave tomorrow I'd always have a place to come back to, wouldn't even need to bother with informing them. I'm thankful to have found such a patient and understanding fiance. There are many people who don't understand our connection but we both understand where the other is coming from. Never did I imagine that the superlative from training would be true ( I was voted "most likely to marry a host country national") I am thankful that I have the means to take care of myself as well as the people close to me here. I also want to take care of my friends in America but that will require lots of patience.

No comments: