Wednesday, August 6, 2008

AirMail Letter #3 - July 28, 2008

Dear Mom and Dad and everybody,

I'm currently in Kollo which is 30 kilometers from Niamey. I'm staying with another CYE (Community Youth Education) Peace Corps volunteer. She will finish her service just about the same time I finish my training and swear in as an official volunteer. I really want her post so I'll be trying to convince Tondi and Assalama (my CYE Coordinators), but I won't get my hopes up.

Her house is gorgeous. Luckily, most CYE Volunteers have electricity, running water, AND indoor plumbing! Her neighbor is an amazing Taureg man with a cool family which is also the appeal for me. I want that posting so bad, but they speak Zarma, and I'm being trained to speak Hausa. Like I said, I'm going to be dropping hints like mad. Staying with this Education volunteer has made me very optimistic.

You should know that I'm planning on getting a cat. She has one and I found out that I'm NOT allergic. Dogs are too hard to keep as pets here, but I need a pet (one that hunts mice will be especially nice!)

Mom, keep your intention on me getting this post. The water here is treated, and it's pretty close to Niamey in case I ever get sick and need to see the doctors at the Peace Corps clinic. (Plus there's a good vet in Niamey for my future cat!) I also like the Nigerien education counterpart that I would work with if I get this post, and I think we could work well together. There are American missionaries in the area, too.

I miss you guys, but I am loving it here.

Count your blessings every day that you have a flush toilet and a car to get around.

My first bush taxi trip will be tomorrow.

Write soon!

Love,

Jessica


(Jessica enclosed a list of "goodies" that she'd love to get in the mail from home)

O.K. guys, I know I keep asking for stuff, but it's only because I can't find it here (within my budget) AND they bring our mail to us until Swear-In (September 12th).

Some of this list is repetitive because I don't know what you've sent already. I'm on "Demystification Weekend" (we get to go and stay with a Peace Corps Volunteer that has been here for a year or longer to see what it's REALLY like) and my list has expanded. You can send me these things in a flat rate box from the post office (more bang for your buck). On top of the inside write my address on red paper. On all mail you can write "Republique du Niger" instead of just "Niger" so it's less likely to be sent to Nigeria by mistake! O.K. here goes my list:

2008-09 Calendars 
 Magazines
8.5x11 posters  
 Scotch Tape
AA and AAA Batteries 
 Crayons (in a ziplock bag)
Elastic hair ties 
 Eyeglass wipes
Colored pencils  
 small pencil sharpener
Chocolate or Peanut Butter Power Bars
Nature Valley Granola Bars
Small Packs of Oreos 
 Graham Crackers
Nilla Wafer Cookies 
 Goldfish Crackers
Children's songbooks 
 Blue Bic Pens
 Q-tips
 Pocket size French Dictionary
 Doritos
 Airmail Envelopes
 LEXAR 2GB chip for my digital camera
 Small speakers (for my iPod)
 Candy canes for Christmas
 Sudoku books
 Small packs of tissues



1 comment:

Martin Yip said...

glad to know you are doing well Jessica,

I am sending you a letter today : D